Medical Biotechnology in Germany 2005 - 2015 - 2025
The key economic data in medical biotechnology in Germany at a glance:
Sales of biopharmaceuticals increased in 2014 by 7% in real terms compared to 2013 and reached around 7.5 billion euros. Their share in the total pharmaceutical market (pharmacies and hospitals) increased from 21.4% to 22.0%.
The number of employees in medical biotechnology within German increased slightly to 37,715 (+3.7%). Most of them are highly qualified.
With a total of 47 newly approved medicinal products, 2014 was another strong year and —as in the previous year—nearly one third (30%, 14 drugs) were biopharmaceuticals.
The number of biopharmaceutical preparations in clinical development has increased from 587 to 604 (+3%) within the space of one year, and this reflects the continuing high investment in the biopharmaceutical pipeline.
In 2014, there were 389 companies involved in medical biotechnology in Germany (2013: 387).
|Approved biopharmaceutical products||155||226|
|Biopharmaceutical products in the pipeline(1)||256||604|
|mAbs(2) in the pipeline||79||357|
|Sales of biopharmaceuticals||2,6 Mrd. €||7,5 Mrd. €|
|Biopharmaceuticals market share||12%||22%|
|Share of biopharmaceuticals metabolism||23%(3)||38%|
|Share of biopharmaceuticals oncology||21%(3)||38%|
|Share of biopharmaceuticals immunology||19%(3)||73%|
|Number of employees||26.420||37.715|
(1) incl. biotechnological and genetically engineered vaccines
(2) monoclonal antibodies
(3) first breakdown in the Biotech-Report 2007 for the calendar year 2006
In order to leverage the enormous potential of medical biotechnology in Germany and to ensure continuous advances in medicine, the industry needs stable and innovation-friendly conditions. This is the only way to preserve the continuous cycle of appreciation and reimbursement of biopharmaceutical innovation, which in turn will lead to investment in research, development, and production—to the benefit of patients, society, and Germany.
The trends of previous years allow us to deduce the following assumptions on developments, which are likely to shape the biopharmaceutical industry over the course of the next ten years:
- Companies are investing continuously in the biopharmaceutical pipeline: High number of development candidates in the pipeline, share of new approvals around 30–40%.
- Benefits for more and more patients: New approvals and indication extensions will enable more patients to be treated with biopharmaceuticals in the future.
- Unmet medical need: Biopharmaceuticals will become established in further areas of application.
- Renaissance of vaccines: The importance of vaccines will increase, particularly with the introduction of therapeutic vaccines.
- Personalized medicine a growing trend: The share of personalized/stratified biopharmaceuticals will increase significantly.
- Biopharmaceutical advances thanks to new technologies: New analysis concepts and therapeutic applications will continue to improve treatment options for patients.
- On the way from manufacturer to healthcare partner: Not only biopharmaceuticals themselves but also the involvement in the provision of integrated healthcare will be crucial.
DOWNLOAD the report in german language:
"Medizinische Biotechnologie in Deutschland 2005 - 2015 - 2025: Beduetung für Patienten, Gesellschaft und Standort"